Date: October 16-18, 2009
Miles: 3.5 (day hikes)
Attendees: Directors Blakeslee, Jarchow, Franz
• This was a spontaneous trip based solely upon three people’s desperate need to get into the wilderness. They chose an unknown (to them) region of the White Mountains. What they found were the oldest living things on Earth.
• Originally, the plan had been to make a raid upon Kearsarge Pass and avenge the historic defeat of 1988. Poor weather intruded and said alternative was decided.
• Scuttling a pack trip in favor of car camping was just fine with Director Jarchow, who was severely under the weather but was determined to enjoy the outdoors.
• While awaiting Director Jarchow’s arrival, Blakeslee and Franz stayed one night in the very new Lone Pine Hostel. Recommended.
• Also while awaiting Jarchow’s arrival, Blakeslee and Franz spent some time at the magnificent Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center just south of Lone Pine. Great place to research trips and get information.
(Click to enlarge photos/captions)